The McNeill Street Pumping Station Preservation Society was established in 1998 and incorporated in the State of Louisiana in 1999. In 2000, it was approved by the U. S. Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt, nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization. Its board of directors and membership have the goals of preserving and restoring the 1887 water plant, and operating a technological and Shreveport history museum at the site known as the Shreveport Water Works museum. This goal is encapsulated in the society’s slogan: “A Second Century”, as in a second century of service to Shreveport and its citizens, this time as a tourist attraction, recreational and cultural site, and educational institution.
The historic site is owned by the City of Shreveport, which has contracted with the Society to conduct work sessions and fundraising efforts, offer presentations and tours of the old water plant to interested individuals and groups, promote and publicize the site, lead restoration efforts, recruit volunteers, and most importantly operate the Shreveport Water Works Museum, all of which is done at the expense of the Preservation Society. The newsletter, The Flight of the Phoenix, keeps readers up-to-date on the Society’s plans and happenings at the Shreveport Water Works Museum at the McNeill Street Pumping Station.